Thursday, August 28, 2014

Week 19

BUSY!!!... last week was boring/blah and this week was BUSY.  But both of these weeks led me to "forget" about the pregnancy a little bit.  Not like it's easy to forget with this growing belly in front of me, but I feel like the weeks are starting to fly by since I'm not quite so fixated on the pregnancy.  And here we are almost at the halfway point!  Holy $*@&!#$*@#{&!!!
Busy, bizzy, bizzeee!!
My sister and her family have been staying with us since last week while they do some remodeling on their house.  This is fun - but...a bit stressful too, of course.  I don't think they'll be here more than a couple more weeks but it's definitely taking my mind off the human in my belly.  We were also away this past weekend to celebrate Hubby's birthday, so overall my days are just totally thrown off.  It's not a bad thing to be busy and a little distracted, but I've been trying to find some time to quietly think about the baby - pay attention to whether I'm feeling any movement and just generally try to bond.  I know this is basically how any/all pregnancies after one's first would be (when you're taking care of 1, 2 or more other children and can't concentrate as much on your pregnancy) and those babies are all just fine.  But I'm looking forward to getting back in the moment and being a little more "present" in my pregnancy.  Hopefully after Sissy's remodel is done.  I'm just glad this hit during my 2nd trimester and not my 1st since I'm really feeling very good overall!

How far along: 19 weeks and 1 day
What did baby do this week: Baby is the size of an heirloom tomato or mango and about 6 inches in length.  I read somewhere that for the most part, Baby is done developing and essentially just has to get bigger now.  So the growth/development spurt that was happening over the past weeks will slow down and Baby will just start to get bigger/fatter/cuter.  Vernix caseosa, a greasy white substance made of lanugo, oil and dead skin cells now coats Baby's skin, shielding it from the amniotic fluid which could "pickle" its skin!  Permanent teeth buds are forming behind the already formed milk teeth buds.
Total weight gain: 15.8 pounds
Symptoms: Nothing really noticeable.  I occasionally still notice some very faint cramping in my uterus - I think from the continued growth and stretching, but it's quite faint and maybe just once a week (if that).  It's been very warm lately.  In fact we had a couple of 100 degree days and I noticed my feet were very swollen those days.  Say what?!?  I've heard of swelling during pregnancy, but that's supposed to come later!!  I also noticed that my engagement ring (which fortunately runs on the big side) was fitting much tighter.  I hope this is mostly due to the heat though and not my body!  But as far as symptoms go I feel VERY lucky.  I keep reading about body aches, back pain, acne, "mask of pregnancy", leg cramps, round ligament pain, the list goes on.  And I feel SO fortunate that I haven't suffered through any of these...yet.  I will enjoy this time while it lasts!
Queasy or Sick:  Not at all.
Sleep:  Pretty good actually.  We slept on a (very high end/nice) Aerobed last weekend and I even did okay there!  For the first time since maybe Week 5 or 6 I DIDN'T get up to pee overnight Tuesday!!  (I did last night, but let's not dwell on that.)  I remember the nights in my 1st trimester when I'd be up 4 times a night.  Oh I don't miss that, but I think I'll see them again in the 3rd tri...
Best moment this week:  Actually - enjoying the time with my sister and her family.  Even though we wouldn't want to permanently live together, we're enjoying being under the same roof for a few weeks!
Hardest part of the week: Really the week has been pretty good!
Looking forward to:  It’s still over a month away, but that 24-25 week mark when infant survival rate climbs ranges from 40-80%!  And I mean really...any of the weeks after that since the rates rise consistently.  Not that I'd ever want my child to come at 24-25 weeks, but with medical technology as amazing as it is these days, it's feasible that in an emergency situation a baby could actually survive living it's 3rd trimester outside the womb.
Movement: The more I concentrate on my belly, especially when I'm lying in bed at night and in the morning, the more I think the occasional slight "fizziness" or "vibrations" I've mentioned might actually be the baby moving.  It's not super noticeable yet and I don't even feel it once a day.  It's incredibly difficult to tell if it's indigestion/gas or Baby, but it's something I don't really think I've felt before.
Food cravings:  Nothing really specific.
Happy or moody:  Neither really?
Labor signs: No

Maternity clothes:  Now that I am wearing only maternity pants/shorts and most of my pre-pregnancy tops are getting a bit "short" for my belly, I also think it's about time to look for a larger bra.  My boobs have grown so slowly but they are definitely bigger now and I need more room around my chest, PLUS in the cups.  I've been trying to decide whether to get a maternity bra, a nursing bra or just a regular ole bra in the next size up...but as I mention a little further down: I've concluded that it's a bad idea to try and buy things "in preparation" for when you'll be bigger and need them later.  So maybe just a larger bra instead of pushing the nursing bra already.  I wasn't even really sure what a "maternity" bra was until I found this.  I think a visit to the mall is in order for this weekend.  I saw a picture of myself from the side this weekend (bad, bad, bad...) and didn't like that "roll" that my current bra was forming around my chest, not to mention the thick midsection.  *sigh* c'est la vie.
Belly button in or out: In
Wedding rings on or off: On - though like I mentioned, because of the recent hot weather my fingers (and feet) are swelling so my rings are tighter than they’ve been my whole pregnancy.
Stretch marks: No
Learnings from the week:  Buying maternity clothes before you need them is NOT a good plan.  I thought I was so smart when I had a Gap 40% off coupon a few months ago and used it to buy a few maternity pieces.  Now that I'm wearing mostly maternity clothes, these pieces really don't work.  Not to mention I had to pay about $40 to hem and take in the pants (I'm certain that's more than I paid for the pants, especially with the 40% off).  Live and learn...
Final Thoughts: I know it’s a little early, but I have more than 1 good girlfriend who has delivered at 34 weeks and just recently had a cousin deliver at 36 so since I’m feeling really good in this 2nd trimester, I decided to start my baby registry.  I've already mentioned it, but the Baby Bargains book is what made me completely begin to understand just what I might need to/want to register for.  And what items rate highly or come highly recommended.  It's become my registry bible and now that I've read it cover to cover, I started a (hidden, for now) registry on Amazon and also registered locally at buy buy Baby.  Something for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment