Sunday, May 18, 2014

Continued good news

We're continuing to get great news about our pregnancy and hope SO HARD that it keeps up.  We have every reason to believe it will since we've done to much to ensure a healthy embryo was transferred to my uterus (chromosomal testing to rule out abnormalities, selecting our 5AA blastocyst, etc.)  There's nothing wrong with this embryo and it is the highest quality we can have - and yet, we still worry.  *I* still worry.  I've basically conceded the fact that since I am pregnant, I will now worry FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.  'Cuz it's not like you stop worrying once your kids are born...it just continues...

But as of this moment - we don't have anything to worry about.  We've had great numbers from our 3 (yes, 3) hCG blood tests.

Our first hCG test - to confirm the pregnancy (tho we were pretty "confirmed" seeing those darkening lines on the home pregnancy tests each day!) was right where Dr. A wanted to see it: 76 mIU/mL.  I went back 2 days later, on Thursday, to check that it was close to doubling (they want to see the hCG levels roughly double every 48 hours just to know that the embryo is growing and progressing well).  It was ALMOST double at 128 mIU/mL.  In order to rest my worrying head, we decided to do a third blood test a couple days later (yesterday) and we were very happy to see that it had more than doubled to 300 mIU/mL!  WHEW!!!  The little bun in the oven is GROWING!

Tuesday 5/13 - First hCG check:
hCG: 76 mIU/ml
Progesterone: 65 ng/mL

Thursday 5/15 - Second hCG check:
hCG: 128 mIU/ml
Progesterone: 75.6 ng/mL

Saturday 5/17 - First hCG check:
hCG: 300 mIU/ml
Progesterone: 58 ng/mL

Dr. A was very happy to see this, as were we!  Out next step is the ultrasound/heartbeat appointment which is scheduled for the beginning of week 6 - just a little over a week away.  Oh boy, another milestone to worry about.  This one makes me especially nervous!  But we are constantly thinking positive thoughts and have a good feeling about all of this.  :)

Thinking positive thoughts!
This is probably the last post where I'll go through how I'm feeling on a daily basis.  I need to do some thinking about how or if I'll continue to write this blog since it's sort of no longer an IVF journey, but more of a pregnancy journey...stay tuned.

9 Days Post Transfer (4 weeks exactly):  
I've been very thirsty and more hungry than usual too.  I had some different looking brown spotting/discharge today.  Dr. A has said that as long as it's brown - I should monitor it, but if it's red they would want to check it out sooner.  Haven't had any major cramps or breast pain.  The progesterone shots are no big deal anymore - amazing how quickly you get used to something uncomfortable.  I tried the Clearblue Easy digital test again today (after getting a negative 2 days ago) and the word "Pregnant" showed up, which is just what I wanted for a photo op!


10 Days Post Transfer (4 weeks 1 day):
I lost another pound - so crazily enough, I'm down almost 5 pounds from where I was just before our transfer!  Dr. A said it's not a bad thing and also not unheard of in the first trimester.  I think for me, it's cuz I've been eating so healthily - mostly whole grains, protein, vegetables, drinking lots of water and eating very little sugar.  I hope the morning sickness doesn't kick in too hard or I might lose even more weight...

Since I still had pregnancy tests, I decided to keep checking them through this morning - just so I could see the line continue to darken.  It made me feel better about thinking my hCG levels were doubling.  Kinda fun to watch it get stronger and stronger too.  :)
The one from this morning (10 days post)
was the same color as the control line :)
Today was  my second blood test which I mentioned above, was 128 mIU/mL.  It wasn't QUITE double my first, but Dr. A was very happy with the rise and not concerned at all.  However she thought we might like to check one final time in a couple days to see it happen again.

11 Days Post Transfer (4 weeks 2 days):
I felt dizzy again this morning.  It was significant enough that I continued to notice it through the day, even as I was moving around (not just while sitting still).  I might even have felt faintly nauseous, but mostly dizzy.  Overall it's not bad but slightly noticeable.  This might be a little TMI but the brown spotting I've mentioned - it looked so weird, almost like black pepper or dirt (!?!!)  I've seen it off and on the last few days, so I asked Dr. A about it.  She said it's a side effect of the progesterone gel and totally normal.  Well that's...good, I guess?

12 Days Post Transfer (4 weeks 3 days):
Felt some slight cramping on/off most of the day.  Today was my 3rd blood test and we were happy to hear that my hCG levels had more than doubled from 2 days ago: 300 mIU/ml!!!  SO RELIEVED!  I'll continue to celebrate each little hurdle!  Grow little baby, GROW!!
Grow Baby, grow!!
13 Days Post Transfer (4 weeks 4 days) (today):
Felt pretty good overall today, just a little tired.  For the past few days (maybe 10 days after starting progesterone injections) I've noticed this weird "numb yet itchy" feeling on the surface of my skin, in the area where my butt and thigh meet - on the same side of my butt where we're doing the progesterone shots.  I was sure it was related and was wondering if Hubby could have hit a nerve or if it's a typical side effect of the progesterone in oil?  It's not painful, but more uncomfortable.  Dr. A said it is another one of those "joyful" PIO side effects and that I should not be alarmed.  She also said that if all looks good after our ultrasound next week I can probably stop the injections and stick with only the Crinone applicators!  OMG, I HOPE EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD (for so much more than just the shots reason.)

I told my first friend tonight!!  It was so much fun even though it's so early, but she's one of my very best friends.  And yes, she was first, even before my parents!  But I want to want to wait until after our first ultrasound to tell my parents and with some of my girlfriends who have had children, I want to tell them sooner in order to get advice from their experiences.  She was so excited for me and of course more than happy to share her info.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts! :) I have read it since your starting the ivf process and they are very nice organized and truely fun to read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! As I've been traveling through my IVF journey this past year your blog has answered many questions. Thank you for taking the time to write detailed posts and being so open with your experiences. -Nicole

    ReplyDelete