Friday, October 3, 2014

Week 24

I don't know if this is a thing, but I'm starting to think I have "gestational hypochondriasis".  You know, like being a hypochondriac about everything that could go wrong in pregnancy...
I have this... and definitely this... and probably that... for sure!
With week 24 comes the start of a timeframe in which we pregnant ladies are supposed to get tested for gestational diabetes.  It starts with the 1 hour glucose test where you have to drink this sweet liquid, hang-out for an hour, get your blood drawn and then you go home and wait to hear back from your doctor.  If the reading is more than 135-140 mg/dl, then you *MIGHT* have GD and will have to go back for a more thorough 3 hour test.  This 3 hour test is basically the same as the 1 hour, except blood is drawn after 1, 2 and 3 hours and if 2 of these 3 are abnormal (high) then you have Gestational Diabetes.  I have yet to do the test - planning on doing it next week.  But I'm like CERTAIN I have GD.  Why, do you ask?  Oh, 'cuz that would just be my luck.  I read somewhere that there aren't really any symptoms, however some may notice increased thirst (um, I'm always thirsty) and if you have a relative with diabetes you're at higher risk (my dad - adult onset.)  So now I'm sure of it.  Cuz...that all makes perfect sense.  I think it's just a part of being a worrying pregnant lady.  I have that role down PERFECTLY.

How far along: 24 weeks, 2 days
What did baby do this week:  Because I have (very well controlled) hypertension, we started doing monthly ultrasound appointments with the perinatologist to check Baby's growth.  Sometimes babies born to mommies with hypertension are smaller because the small blood vessels in the placenta tighten, allowing less blood and nutrients to get to the baby.  So after our 20 week anatomy scan (also done with the perinatologist) we're going back every 4 weeks for growth checks.  One of these happened to be on Tuesday.  These checks are perfectly fine with me - more opportunities to see Baby!  And since my blood pressure (which was not very high pre-pregnancy anyway, just higher than they like) has been quite low I'm not overly concerned.  Sure enough our baby was perfect - clocking in at 1 pound 8 ounces which puts them at 52%.  Baby is ever-so-slightly above the average size of other babies at the same gestational age!  Whew!  Heart-rate was 148 BPM and everything measured great.  Too bad Little One was feeling shy and had their hands in front of their face - no good 3D pix.  At this stage Baby's ears/hearing, fingernails and fingerprints are all done forming.  Baby's respiratory system is also rapidly growing.  Lungs are developing in preparation for breathing, by moving amniotic fluid in and out.  They are also producing a substance called surfactant that helps to keep the lungs from collapsing or sticking together during exhalation.
Total weight gain: 22.2 pounds. I hate this - however, Dr. said "good".
Symptoms: Like I mentioned, I've been more thirsty lately and also seem to have a bad taste in my mouth by the end of the day.  I think I noticed this a bit in the first trimester and it's not as bad, but I feel like I have to brush my teeth multiple times a day.  I'm also continuing to have some constipation which is annoying.  I'm "going" but it's not pleasant.  I asked my OB about this and she suggested drinking more water (10-12 glasses a day which is OMG SO MUCH) and trying this fiber supplement.  I'm doing both and haven't noticed a ton of improvement since starting about 3 days ago.  But we'll see what happens after a week or so.

Queasy or Sick: No thank goodness!  Though with all the water and fiber I'm consuming I've been feeling a bit uncomfortably bloated (and gassy! like a pregnant woman needs more gas!!)
Sleep:  Still awesome.  No problems.  Not waking up in the middle of the night.  No problems falling asleep.  No extra pillows needed.  Not to mention I love feeling Baby moving around before I fall asleep.  I always feel the little buggar most when I'm still and quiet and that's usually right as I go to sleep.
Best moment this week: Hubby felt Baby move for the first time on Friday night!  We try to spend some time every night talking/singing to Baby and he usually will rub my belly.  Friday I noticed that Baby was even MORE active than usual - like if I looked closely, held my breath and concentrated I could see my belly move!  So I had Hubby rest his hand where I was feeling the movement most and sure enough he felt a couple nudges!!  So incredibly cool.
Hardest part of the week:  Not that this was "hard" but it bothered me when we went out for a walk this past week, and by the time we got home I noticed my hands were super swollen.  So swollen I had trouble getting the door unlocked.  It was a longer walk than we usually do and it was a warm night, plus I notice even when I'm not pregnant my hands sometimes swell a little with exercise.  But it still bothered me.  I did some Googling and determined that I was probably a little dehydrated.  Another recommendation is to periodically swing your hands above your head to let gravity pull retained water down.  I haven't noticed it as badly since.
Looking forward to:  Just a few more weeks out and Baby's chance of survival will be greater than 90%!  I actually know of a friend's cousin who had her baby at 24 weeks and while he has some slight vision problems now, he's a thriving 5 year old.
Movement: Definitely feeling it even though it does still sometimes feel like gas.  Or having to suddenly pee...and then suddenly NOT having to pee.  It's much different than I thought it'd feel like, but I love feeling Baby move.  The days of worrying if everything's okay in there between doctor appointments are greatly diminished!
Not just a slice, but a whole (small) cantaloupe!
Food cravings: Nothing specific, though I've started trying to sort of limit my carbs and sugar in light of the glucose test next week.  Carbs is definitely a tough one!
Happy or moody:  Mostly happy!
Labor signs: No
Maternity clothes:  All the time.  When I first started shopping for maternity pants, I had no idea whether I'd like full panel or demi panel better.  Since it's been primarily summer (hot) during my pregnancy I figured I'd prefer the demi panel which doesn't cover as much of your belly.  But I'm finding that I do actually prefer the full panel.  I don't notice it to be more hot and I think it looks nicer/smoother under clothing.  Maybe I'm not yet big enough, but sometimes the demi panels cut into my belly in a weird spot.  Anyway, just my 2 cents!
Belly button in or out: In
Wedding rings on or off: On!
Stretch marks: No
Learnings from the week: I made my way to our local Destination Maternity store a few days ago.  Um - YOU MUST GO.  It is awesome.  I can't believe it's this huge store just full of maternity clothing!  Now, maternity clothing is still not always the most fashionable.  But it was HEAVEN to just get to try things on in the store.  I've become so accustomed to ordering online (multiple sizes of the same item), trying on at home and then returning.  Ugh.  So finding this giant store was wonderful.  You might not know, but Destination Maternity is the parent company for both A Pea in the Pod and Motherhood, so you'll find both brands in the store (A Pea in the Pod being quite a bit more pricey.)  But in browsing around, I was also finding all sorts of designer brands: 7 Jeans, BCBG, Isabella Oliver, J Brand, Nicole Miller.  All maternity!!
Final Thoughts:  I've talked a lot here - I think I'll give you a break from anything more.  Not to mention I'm already late on getting this posted.  See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment