Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Week 9

It's with great caution that I say - I think the morning sickness has caught up with me.  OK, the reason I say that with caution is that really... it's NOT THAT BAD at all and I'm worried that once I think/accept that what I'm feeling is morning sickness, it will really come on with gusto.  Kinda like "oh you thought THAT was morning sickness??!!  Bwahahaha!!  I'll show you morning sickness!!"  I'd say it's a little more like sporadic indigestion right now than feeling very nauseous.  And I only threw up once - but that was super random (gagged on my vitamins one morning which just caused a chain reaction in my body and up-chucked the water I'd just drunk while brushing my teeth.)  Ahh, fun times.
I have a tummy ache...
Really, if this is as bad as it gets then I'll be THRILLED!  3-4 more weeks left in my first trimester, if I can get through that with this level of "off-feeling" then I'd deem this pregnancy hugely successful in terms of how I've felt.  I have also been continuing the acupuncture.  Twice a week right now (until week 12) and it's very possible that this is helping too.

How far along: 9 weeks
What did baby do this week: Baby is the size of a large grape or cherry!  About 1 inch from crown to rump.  The embryonic tail is starting to disappear.  All of baby's joints are working - it can make a fist and may even begin to suck its own thumb.  The kidney, liver, brain and lungs are all beginning to function.  Baby has fully developed eyes but they won't open until about week 27.
Total weight gain: 4.2 pounds
Symptoms: Continued slight/faint cramping.  I think my aereolas are a little larger, but not much darker and my breasts seem about the same size.  I felt more queasy this past week.  It’s not bad at all and is not present every day or all day.  It seems to be the worst in the mornings but once I eat some breakfast I usually feel better.  Getting to work hasn't been a problem (I'm thankful that I have the option to work from home occasionally) though when I'm in the office, I find myself rolling in a little later.  It's harder to get out of bed and then I MUST feed myself some breakfast before I leave, so getting out the door is challenging.
Sleep: I seem to be sleeping a little better than I was in previous weeks - in terms of falling asleep and being able to go back to sleep after waking up.  But the 3-4 trips to the bathroom at night are just as awesome as they sound!
Best moment this week: It was a pretty low-key week.  I've definitely had some food cravings and aversions though and can't believe I'm about to say: the best moment of the week might have been the McDonald's cheeseburger I had for lunch on Saturday.  Sad, but true.  In an odd way, the slight queasiness I've been feeling is a "wonderful" development too, because it means Baby is growing and thriving!
Hardest part of the week: Dealing with my ever-so-slight queasiness.  No really, it’s not THAT bad at all.  But it’s maybe the worst thing that’s happened to me all week, so it’s still worth mentioning.  So far this is NOTHING like I was expecting.  I mentioned last week that I felt more nauseous on Day 2 of a Birth Control Pill pack than I’ve felt during pregnancy so far and that is still absolutely accurate.
Looking forward to: Our Week 10 ultrasound (next Wed).  It will mark the end of our time with Dr. A (which is sad, but still an achievement!) and should also mark the end of all my medications!!!  I CANNOT WAIT for the progesterone shots to end.  I have no idea how some ladies put up with this nightly (we're doing them every other night) for a full 10 or so weeks.  By the time we're done it will have been about 7 weeks with only the first 3 weeks at nightly.  And oh, man...my bootie!!!

Movement: Yes, lots - but I won't be feeling it for another 8-10 weeks...
Food cravings: Sandwiches.  I think it has something to do with the pickles and “sour” flavors.  I was dying for a McDonald’s cheeseburger this past weekend.  Hubby was awesome and ran to pick it up for me.  That’s the first time I’ve been more excited about the McDonald’s burger than the fries!  I’ve also been CRAVING deli sandwiches, but am also aware of the listeria risk and that whole “don’t eat deli turkey” mantra.  So I didn’t; I ate roast beef...and then I found this.  Man, these rules on what not to do are confusing.  I kept reading to avoid deli turkey (and sprouts, and unpasteurized cheeses) in order to avoid listeria.  But I suppose it's all deli meats...  Oh well, the chance of risk is very low.
Happy or moody: Not noticing any change.  Just a little more emotional, as I've mentioned before. *sniff*
Labor signs: No
Maternity clothes: No, but might need some bigger pants soon...
Belly button in or out: In
Wedding rings on or off: On
Stretch marks: No
Learnings from the week: Finding an OB is hard.  Especially when your RE is AMAZING.  I’ve been asking around (while trying not to give away that I’m pregnant - a tricky task) and reading reviews and even asking Dr. A’s opinion, but it’s not easy.
On a separate, different doctor topic: I have a dentist appointment this afternoon and Dr. A said there's no problem with getting my teeth cleaned.  I should just skip the X-rays this time around.
Final Thoughts: Hubbies can really show their true colors during your pregnancy.  Fortunately for me, mine has been AWESOME!  He works so hard, and such long hours during the week (and sometimes weekends) and yet has been super helpful at home too - doing things I just don't have the energy to do.  Running errands (yes, even to go pick up more progesterone and needles from the pharmacy!), getting me food, fixing things around the house, doing laundry and dishes.  I think he'd even start cooking if I was more willing to eat what he'd make - with my weird food aversions it can be a little challenging to accept someone's offer to cook for you.  He really deserves some props.  I hope you have a super helpful hubby too!  They're worth their weight in gold.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment